USA

Scooter battery blamed for Queens blaze that killed 8-year-old girl

A lithium battery from her sibling’s new electrical scooter brought about the blaze that killed an 8-year-old lady in Queens, fireplace officers and neighbors stated Sunday — as residents recalled the frantic futile effort to avoid wasting the kid.

“The firefighter took the lady out first. He was carrying her in his arms,” stated resident Daniel Calle, 27. “She appeared like she was asleep.

“They have been working diligently on her. They have been pumping her chest. … However she wasn’t transferring.”

Shaken resident Dora Dellis, 72, added, “There have been about six or seven folks round her.

“The [landlord’s wife] was crying.”

She was saying, “I don’t care about the home. I don’t need the lady to die,” the witness stated.

Hearth officers stated a scooter brought about the blaze, and the owner added that the electrical system had been just lately purchased by the household for one of many little lady’s teenage brothers.

“They simply purchased that silly factor,” the owner stated of the scooter. “I believe they acquired it a month, a month and a half in the past. More often than not, the bike is right here. [The girl’s dad] instructed me it was for his son however he makes use of it, too.”

The lifeless lady, recognized as Stephanie Villa Torres, suffered smoke inhalation and was pronounced lifeless at New York Presbyterian Hospital of Queens, authorities stated.

Fire officials said a scooter caused the blaze, and the landlord added that the electric device had been recently bought by the family for one of the little girl's teenage brothers.
Hearth officers stated a scooter brought about the blaze, and the owner added that the electrical system had been just lately purchased by the household for one of many little lady’s teenage brothers.
Kevin C. Downs
The building's landlord described her as a "quiet little girl. Very pretty, very sweet.
The constructing’s landlord described her as a “quiet little lady. Very fairly, very candy.
kevin c downs
 "I think they got it a month, a month and a half ago. Most of the time, the bike is here. [The girl's dad] told me it was for his son but he uses it, too."
“I believe they acquired it a month, a month and a half in the past. More often than not, the bike is right here. [The girl’s dad] instructed me it was for his son however he makes use of it, too.”
kevin c downs

The constructing’s landlord described her as a “quiet little lady. Very fairly, very candy.

“At first she was very shy,” he stated of the sufferer when the household first moved in. “She was making an attempt to cover. 

“After that she was very candy. She would say hello. The final time I noticed was the day earlier than, proper right here,” he stated standing in entrance of his entrance door.

The fire broke out at the multi-family home at 130th Street in College Point shortly after 7:30 a.m. Saturday, officials said.
The hearth broke out on the multi-family house at one hundred and thirtieth Avenue in Faculty Level shortly after 7:30 a.m. Saturday, officers stated.
kevin c downs
FDNY at the scene of a house fire at 23-26 130 Street in College Point, Queens.
FDNY on the scene of a home fireplace at 23-26 130 Avenue in Faculty Level, Queens.
kevin c downs

“She walked in along with her mom. I stated, ‘Hello Stephanie, the way you doing?’ She stated ‘Hello’ again. She was at all times a cheerful,  candy lady.”

The hearth broke out on the multi-family house at one hundred and thirtieth Avenue in Faculty Level shortly after 7:30 a.m. Saturday, officers stated.

Two others, believed to be Stephanie’s father and brother, have been listed in secure situation at Jacobi Hospital Medical Middle.

On Sunday, metropolis fireplace and Constructing Division officers have been on the scene.

“I imply, it is a child,” stated Debbie, one other neighbor. “I’ve grandkids that age so, you recognize, it’s only a disgrace.

“These batteries, they gotta do one thing about these batteries as a result of it’s too many lives they’re dropping,” she added.

Show More

Related Articles

Back to top button