The Benefits and Risks of the Viral TikTok Beauty Hack
- A magnificence hack known as “slugging” has gone viral on TikTok.
- Promoters of the pattern say it may well assist moisturize and defend your pores and skin.
- They are saying it may well additionally assist scale back wrinkles.
- Skincare specialists say slugging may be a good suggestion if completed accurately.
- Nevertheless, it may result in issues for some folks with sure pores and skin sorts.
There’s a brand new viral magnificence pattern on TikTok today known as “slugging.” As of this writing, the social media web site studies there have been 25.4 million views of movies tagged “slugging technique,” with magnificence influencers and skincare medical doctors alike weighing in.
Slugging, in a nutshell, entails slathering Vaseline – or another petroleum jelly-based ointment – in your face as the ultimate step of your nighttime skincare routine.
Researcher Kyla Pagani, who authored a paper on the subject which was revealed in Clinics in Dermatology, advised U.S. News and World Report the purpose of slugging is to “assist moisturize and strengthen the pores and skin barrier.” Proponents additionally declare it may well scale back wrinkles.
In her group’s evaluation of movies obtainable on the time of the examine, it was discovered that 36.7% of the movies have been deemed to be instructional in nature.
Nevertheless, solely 20.4% of those movies talked about the dangers related to slugging.
In keeping with Pagani, this demonstrated the potential for hurt to most of the people when well being content material will not be introduced in a balanced method.
Pagani did emphasize, nevertheless, that it’s not that slugging itself that’s dangerous. It’s merely that TikTokers didn’t at all times point out the downsides related to the follow, preferring to play up the advantages.
In truth, total, the researchers discovered that 6 out of each 10 posts centered primarily on the positives whereas solely 2 out of 10 talked about potential issues of which customers must be conscious.
So what’s the fact about slugging? Is it good on your pores and skin? And what are the dangers that is likely to be related to it?
In keeping with Dr. Hope Mitchell, a board-certified dermatologist and founder and CEO of Mitchell Dermatology in Perrysburg and Fremont, Ohio, making use of an occlusive ointment can certainly assist to hydrate and heal your pores and skin.
“It moisturizes or retains moisture, protects the pores and skin barrier, and repairs dehydrated pores and skin,” she defined.
She famous that it may be completed on any a part of your physique, however the face, lips, and eyelids are frequent targets.
“Dermatologists have been utilizing this magnificence hack to forestall transepidermal water loss and lock in moisture to rapidly heal dry pores and skin for a few years,” stated Mitchell, “and now this magnificence tip has a proper title – slugging.”
Dr. Susan Massick, affiliate professor of dermatology at The Ohio State College Wexner Medical Heart, added that the follow might be useful with sure pores and skin situations particularly.
“For those who’re somebody that struggles with eczema or dry pores and skin, making use of an emollient sort of moisturizer can assist,” Massick stated.
Mitchell stated that slugging can also be useful in terms of wrinkles.
“With ageing, the pores and skin barrier loses its capability to restore itself, and one might discover decreased hydration, or saggy pores and skin and extra nice strains and wrinkles. Slugging generally is a profit in all of those instances,” she stated.
In keeping with Massick, it’s not that slugging itself is especially efficient as an anti-wrinkle therapy. The place it may well assist, she famous, is to replenish the pure pores and skin barrier perform.
In different phrases, it helps scale back the looks of wrinkles slightly than really stopping them.
Mitchell stated that slugging won’t be applicable for all pores and skin sorts, nevertheless, particularly oily, acne-prone pores and skin.
“Let’s face it, constructing one other layer on prime of oil could also be asking for hassle,” she stated, noting that it may clog the pores, and result in additional breakouts.
Massick additional defined that occlusive emollients like petroleum jelly could cause sebum (oil) and micro organism to develop into trapped inside your pores – one thing you don’t need in case you are already experiencing breakouts.
In these instances, Mitchell suggests that individuals use a serum with hyaluronic acid as a moisturizer after which a noncomedogenic lotion or cream as a spot therapy.
Nevertheless, you probably have dry pores and skin slugging could also be simply the factor you want.
“Slugging is a good way for folks with delicate pores and skin to heal and defend their pores and skin, particularly through the chilly winter months,” stated Mitchell.
If you wish to follow slugging, Mitchell and Massick suggest the next routine:
- Cleanse. Massick suggests utilizing a gentle cleanser and gently patting dry.
- Moisturize. “Contemplate a product with hyaluronic acid, ceramides, and glycerin which can work in tandem to lock moisture right into a protected pores and skin barrier,” suggested Mitchell. She additionally harassed that it’s best to keep away from utilizing merchandise with AHAs, BHAs, or retinoids, nevertheless, since these may trigger chemical burns when locked in beneath a barrier.
- Seal the moisturizer with a skinny layer of an occlusive ointment. In keeping with Mitchell, some good choices are Vaseline, CeraVe Therapeutic Ointment, or Aquaphor. Massick added that you would be able to both go away the therapy on for a couple of hours or go away it on in a single day whilst you sleep.