Man struck by lightning while playing PlayStation in his living room
No, he’s not Ben Franklin — neither is he Thor.
A UK man was rushed to the emergency room final Monday after he was struck by lightning whereas enjoying video video games in his lounge.
Aiden Rowan was “fortunately enjoying” video video games on his PlayStation round 10:30 p.m. when he heard a loud crack adopted by a “heavy jolting sensation.”
“So, I’m completely not one for sympathy posts, I needed to share this due to how insane it’s,” gamer and cosplayer Rowan, 33, wrote to his 13,900 on Instagram followers. “[There was] a loud bang and … 5 hours on the hospital confirmed that I used to be STRUCK BY LIGHTNING via the open window! By no means going to play cute cat video games throughout a thunderstorm once more. I’m tremendous, simply very sore, hell of a headache and burn stripes down my arm.”
Sarcastically, when he was struck, he was enjoying a sport known as “Stray” the place you management a stray cat who’s misplaced — in a thunderstorm.
“It took a few minute to return again to my senses, I felt very, very confused,” Rowan told Metro. “I went upstairs and requested my husband for a moist towel as I didn’t know what had occurred however my arm was burning.”
Rowan’s shocked — no pun supposed — husband Aaron instantly raced him to the hospital.
“We received to the reception and Aaron mentioned one thing had occurred and it could have been a lightning strike and everybody turned to take a look at me,” Rowan mentioned. “I used to be rushed via to an evaluation room they usually mentioned it does appear to be it was a lightning strike. 9 medical doctors from completely different departments got here to take a look at me and I used to be placed on a coronary heart monitor and had some blood checks.”
Rowan’s medical doctors imagine that the lightning bounced off the water and thru the window because of the floor being too laborious from the heatwave the UK has been experiencing lately.
“We simply couldn’t actually course of it on the time,” Rowan mentioned. After a couple of days it began to mentally have an effect on me, realizing that I might have died.”
Nonetheless, he ultimately managed to stay unscathed save for a couple of cuts on his left arm and a small burn on his proper hand.
Rowan’s associates, nevertheless, have managed to discover a constructive spin to the entire ordeal.
“My associates have been very involved, particularly within the first few days, however as soon as individuals realized I used to be OK there have been fairly a couple of jokes about Thor,” he joked. “That’s the final time I play a cute cat sport throughout a thunderstorm, I believe!”
Folks being struck by lighting would possibly seem to be a freak accident — but it surely’s nearly turn out to be a disturbing development of late. Three individuals’s deaths have been caught on digital camera throughout a deadly lightning strike close to the White Home in August. A fourth sufferer was struck down however ultimately lived, crediting quick-thinking Secret Service brokers and her Dr. Martens boots for her survival.
Lighting strikes some 25 million instances a yr within the US, in accordance with the Nationwide Climate Service, and kills a median of 47 individuals yearly.
“Though most lightning happens in the summertime, individuals will be struck at any time of yr,” in accordance with the NWS.
In the meantime, “most lightning casualties happen at first of an approaching storm, a big variety of lightning deaths happen after the thunderstorm has handed,” the Nationwide Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration reported.
“If thunder is heard — then the storm is shut sufficient for a lightning strike.”